The Truth about Trees
There are those who believe that cutting down a single tree is an inherently evil. But no one has a higher stake in ensuring the continuation and growth of healthy, well-managed forests than the American forest products industry.
The proof lies in the world map below and the following facts about our forests:
- The U.S. forest products industry plants 1,700,000 trees each day, over three times the amount harvested for industry.
- America's forests have increased by 12 million acres since 1987 (as of 2010) and though population has tripled since the early 1900s, forest acreage is roughly the same as it was over a century ago.
- Standing timber in U.S. forests has increased 40% in the last half century.
- Paper mill wood waste and byproducts are converted into energy, supplying 2/3 of the energy required to produce paperboard.
- Trees from tropical rainforests are not used to make paperboard packaging in the U.S.
- Virtually all paperboard packaging comes from trees grown and harvested in the U.S.
- AF&PA member mills generate an average of 65% of their energy needs onsite from carbon-neutral biomass.
- The more trees we plant, the more carbon dioxide is removed from the atmosphere.
THE DARK GREEN AREAS ARE WHERE FOREST ACREAGE IS INCREASING